Friday 13 April 2007

the tough life of a jetsetting teacher...

Yes, it is about to start. I came to the end of my wonderful month of taxpayer-funded taxi travel to work, had a week holiday (where not a whole lot was accomplished - I did sleep lots - does that count as constructive?), and now am packed and almost all set for tomorrow morning's 4am alarm. Ahhh... just like the good old days at Nuna... very early swim sessions! Although now I will head to the airport instead of the pool and set off for Sofia, Bulgaria. A week watching (and helping!) kids play politicians - I'm sure they'll be scarily good, and then all choose wonderful careers as venture capitalists, leaving the suckers to educate the next generation and the others to play at being real politicians... bloody cynical Social Studies teachers - send them all to the gulags!

This week's encounter with a politician was at the swimming club's welcome home for the members that were in Melbourne for the World Championships: 3 swimmers, 3 divers, 2 coaches, 1 doctor - for a total of 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze (better than Germany!). Anyway, Therese Alshammar was (as usual!) the star attraction but, lo and behold, somebody forgot to tell the local city politician who, after welcoming Therese to the stage, proceeded to talk for 5 minutes about all the wonderful things Stockholm (she) was going to do to help everyone. Meanwhile Therese stood there very politely, smiled and didn't get to say a word! But they had organised an autograph session afterwards... I think the kids went for the star swimmer and not the politician!

For those of you familiar with my avoidance of an iron (still haven't felt the need to buy one in Stockholm!) and also avoidance of having a clean shaven face you'll be happy (?!) to hear that I have packed my (only) suit, shirts, ties and shaving kit, and will be expected to be 'formally' dressed at many of the functions in Bulgaria. Still, if I get into it maybe I'll start looking for a job in the city. They even have an evening where they have organised for the delegations to visit their embassy - which means, as the teacher with the Swedish delegation, that I will be going to "my" Swedish embassy. Will be interesting to see how they react when an Aussie rocks up! "G'day mate! Where's the barbie? Gotta coldie? Long way from home, eh!"

on that note...

rich.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter